28 January 2008

Time to give a little back

I've decided to do a bit of charity knitting this year. I haven't done much in the past due to time constraints, but over the last year, my knitting speed has increased, as has my knitting efficiency. I seem to be able to be relatively monogamous with my projects (at least, my polygamy only runs to 2 or 3 projects at once), which has given me more focus on my current projects, and the ability to finish them faster.

Anyway, being able to finish things faster means that I have more time to knit things for charity. I feel like I have been given a gift with knitting, and I want to be able to use that gift to give something back to the world. Sounds trite, I know, but it's late and I can't think of a better way of putting it.

There are 3 charities for which I will be doing knitting this year.

The first is Socks for Soldiers. Why? Well, mostly because I love sock knitting. Making socks for our soldiers means that my little sock obsession can benefit someone other than me and my family members. Though I personally do not know anyone who is deployed, I was raised in the military and understand how hard a life it can be for both the soldiers and their families. I can't imagine being without Shane for a year, with the possibility that he may not come home. If having a pair of handknit socks can make a soldier feel a little more connected to home, then knitting a pair of socks is the least I can do. I haven't started my first pair yet. I purchased the yarn from the group organizer, but I haven't started yet. I'm hoping to get the first pair underway in the next couple of weeks. My goal for the year is 2 regulation socks and 1 or 2 "leisure" pairs.

The second charity is Hats for Alex. When I first heard about this charity last year, the story really got to me. Recently, I became the managing editor for a scientific journal that deals with the research of birth defects and fetal/infant deaths, and I have read several articles concerning the deaths of children at the hands of adults in their lives. It just breaks my heart. What Pam is doing in organizing the donation of hats to newborns is a good thing. My goal this year is to knit 10 hats. I have just the right yarn in my stash for this.

And third is the Snuggles Project. Animals hold a special place in my heart, especially shelter animals (after all, my dear Evil One spent 6 months in our local Humane Society before I rescued her). I have the yarn in my stash - why not knit something cuddly for someone cuddly? My goal will be to knit 1, possibly 2 blankets for the Lawrence Humane Society.

So that's it - my little attempt at using my skills for the greater good (instead of the evil that I usually use them for - bwahahahahahaaaa).

3 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

This is a good idea!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

I love it! Thanks for the links. You've inspired me to do some charity knitting, I hope other's follow your lead as well!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I'd like to knit for a shelter, too. We picked up Lucky a few week ago from Forgotten Cats, and they have the cats sleeping on old towels people have donated. As soon as we brought him home he took over the afghans on the sofa.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home