03 July 2008

Bibs

There are about 30 women at work who are pregnant. Ok, not really, but there are quite a few (something I'm painfully aware of since Shane and I have been as yet unsuccessful in conceiving). Of the multitudes, there are several who are friends, sort of, so I am knitting them little gifts for their babies.

The first gift I finished was a set of three bibs for the coworker who is due in mid-July.

bibs2 062608

These are the bibs from the Mason Dixon Knitting book. I didn't have a lot of time to make something, so these seemed like a good quick gift. But, since I used cotton, which my hands really hate, they ended up taking way longer than I expected. I finished them in time for the shower that we gave the mommy at work, but not until the night before.

As with many Mason Dixon projects, the pattern was written with a crap-ton of garter stitch. I hate garter stitch. Don't like working it and don't like the way it looks. So, I altered the pattern to have a stockinette center with a garter border.

bibs1 062608

This picture is with the flash. Overexposed, but the colors are more accurate. Who knew Sugar N Cream came in such bright colors?

bibs3 062608

I steam blocked these instead of doing my usual dunking and laying flat to dry. This was the first time I've steam blocked anything. WAY easier. I just wet a hand towel, placed it on top of the bib, and ironed.

Everyone at the shower was amazed, and the mommy loved them. It's nice to have our craft admired, even on the simplest of projects.

Here's the details:
Pattern: Baby Bib O' Love from Mason Dixon Knitting
Yarn: 3 skeins of Lily Sugar N Cream, one each of Hot Pink, Hot Purple, and Hot Blue
Needles: 24" size 8 Susan Bates circular
Started: beginning of June
Finished: 6/26/08
Mods: As mentioned above, I knitted in stockinette with a garter border instead of the whole thing in garter.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I hear ya. I'm plugging away at baby gifts and carefully maintaining my stance on the High Road, trying hard not to let my resentment turn into bad karma.

Sigh. We start the doctors-and-interventions phase of TTC at the end of the month.

9:14 PM  
Blogger kemtee said...

Bibs. Heck, I'm STILL using them. Most excellent gift.

Fingers crossed for y'all.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

I love the colors you chose and the stripes at the bottom. So cute!

Sending good vibes your way. I know that one day you'll make beautiful things for your baby.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

I love your bibs! They are so colorful and happy. And washable! Bibs make great gifts.

12:16 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

How cute are those bibs!! Love the stockinette modification too!

1:37 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

What adorable bibs! Love the stripey thing you did there!

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home