10 April 2008

Then again, maybe not

A close friend of mine is having job problems. She is being pushed out of the job she currently has, and is looking for a new position in the same company, where she has been for 15+ years. I feel horrible that I have to sit by and watch her go through all of this, and I can’t do anything to help her except be an ear for her to bend.

In hearing all of what is happening to her, and looking around me at the news of our crap economy, and the housing market being a mess, and gas prices being ridiculously high… I am very thankful that Shane and I both have stable jobs that pay enough for us to live relatively comfortably.

And I am extremely thankful that we own our home. This year was going to be the year that we sold the house and bought a bigger one for our (hopefully soon-to-be) expanding family. But the chances that we’d make any decent money on the sale, or even be able to find another house that we love enough to stay in for the next 10 to 15 years, are pretty slim.

So after talking about it for a while last weekend, we have decided to stay in the house for at least the next two years. We’re going to get the house ready to sell (there is a crap-ton of stuff that needs to be done), so that when the housing market turns around, we can put it up for sale right away.

Of course, this means that I am getting ready to do the purge to end all purges. The house is still too small for us (960 sq ft w/3 bedrooms & 1 bathroom, for me, the 6’4” husband, and the rapidly-growing 9yo boy), much less us with a baby (no, I’m not pregnant – yet). We have too much stuff, and it all must go. This is going to mean making some sacrifices and getting rid of some things that we just do not have space for (there may be some yarn destashing going on in the next few months). It also means that I am going to have to get creative with storage solutions in the house. The anal retentive in me is actually looking forward to reorganizing to create more space.

Hopefully, in a couple of years, we’ll be able to sell the house for what it’s actually worth, and buy another one that we absolutely love. In the meantime, we’ll just be packed like sardines in our little rancher and be thankful everyday that we have it.

WiP pictures to come tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

I bet you'll kick butt at making new space!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

I hear ya. I am currently purging even though I am moving to more square footage in August. I want more breathing room, so that means less stuff. We don't need nearly as much stuff as we think we do.

Happy organizing!

9:26 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I feel for your friend - I know what she is going through. I have a love/hate relationship with purging (which probably explains the state of my basement).

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home