26 March 2008

Scroll Lace Socks

The Scroll Lace Socks are finished!

SL socks2 032608

I tacked down the picot edge cuff on the second sock last night (took a freakin' hour).

SL socks1 032608

My first time trying on the socks was this evening. I didn't try on the first one when I completed it - not sure why. I think maybe I was worried that they were a bit too big. The fit turned out to be pretty good.

SL socks4 032608

The only slightly loose part is in the area around the ball of my foot.

SL socks toe 032608

I finally found a toe-up heel flap formula that I really like.

SL sock heel 032608

The funny thing is that after doing all this research on Knitty and Ravelry and elsewhere, I stumbled upon this as the first link that popped up when I Googled "toe-up heel flap." Go figure. The math is really simple, which means I don't have to think too hard about it.

I love how the stitch pattern makes the gusset increases look a little rippley.

SL socks gusset 032608

I worked a picot edge cuff on these for the first time.

SL socks cuff 032608

I like the way it looks, but I'm not sure I'll ever use this again. It was a serious pain in the ass to sew down the edge. You knit 8 rounds, do one round of k2tog, yo, and knit 8 more rounds. Then you fold the edge inwards to create the little peaks you see. The stockinette rolls (as stockinette will) and makes the stitches hard to line up. The method I used for sewing didn't really work that well for me. The seam on the first sock looks very different than the one on the second sock, but I didn't do anything different the second time around. Plus, I just hate seaming. But I'm glad I tried it.

Here are some details for ya...

Pattern: Scroll Lace Socks by Bowerbird Knits. Toe-up, Judy's Magic Cast-on, magic loop.
Yarn: Knit Picks Essentials in Burgundy
Needles: started on size 1.5 Knit Picks Harmony 32" circ, eventually switched to Addi size 1 32" circ
Started: 2/28/08
Finished: 3/25/08
Modifications: The original pattern calls for a gauge of 11 sts/inch on size 00 needles, and a cast-on of 80 stitches. Well, there was no way I was going to use needles that small, so I used size 1s, and ended up with a gauge of 9 sts/inch. This gauge required that I reduce the number of instep and leg stitches to 72. In order to get to that count, I altered the stitch pattern like so: I deleted the 8th stitch in rounds 1-9, deleted round 10 completely, and deleted the 10th stitch on rounds 11-18. Essentially, I made the 10 stitch repeat into a 9 stitch repeat.

Also, I worked it toe-up instead of top-down.

So, that's another pair of socks finished for the Sock-A-Month KAL. Rock on!

8 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

They are beautiful! And perfect!

10:20 PM  
Blogger IrishgirlieKnits said...

Absolutely beautiful! You couldn't have picked a more perfect color either!! I love the swirly gusset increases! Great job!!

1:39 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

That is so neat how the gusset stitches are ripply! Well done :)

5:28 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Wow! They're lovely. You sure are cranking out the finishes lately. Good for you!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

They are a really cute pair of socks! Glad you have a toe up formula you like now!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Eryn said...

I love the color, I love the pattern, I love the socks!!!

Absolutely fabulous.

5:23 PM  
Blogger kemtee said...

Woo hoo! Go Bev! I lurves me some fancy socks.

6:57 PM  
Blogger RiverCitySTL said...

wow, those socks are beautiful!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home