22 February 2008

Finally!

Seems like ages since I finished the Charlotte's Web shawl. I had to come up with a creative blocking solution because I don't want to shell-out for a set of blocking wires.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a hardware store and looked for something suitable. They had actual welding wire, but it was too thick. What I settled on was this:

16 gauge wire

It's 16 gauge fencing wire. Thick enough to keep its shape, but thin enough to be easily bent into whatever shape I need.

Charlotte's Web 021308

Worked pretty well, huh? I couldn't get the wires perfectly straight, but the pins helped a little so that I could get a fairly straight edge.

Charlotte's Web6 021308

The bind-off edge was not as stretchy as I would have liked, which prevented me from being too severe with the blocking. I probably could have blocked it to be a bit larger if the bind-off had been stretchier.

Once again the wonders of lace are proven with this shawl. It was just a pile of colorful looped yarn before going into the sink for a soak. It's amazing that the pile turns into this:

Charlotte's Web3 021308

That has to be the best part of working on lace. So cool. And the fact that it stays in that shape after it drys is just amazing.

Charlotte's Web finished1 022208

Pattern: Charlotte's Web Shawl by Koigu Wool Designs
Yarn: 5 different skeins of Koigu
Needles: size 7, 24" bamboo circs.
Started: 1/15/08
Finished: 2/15/08
Modifications: I used needles one size larger than called for because I am a tight knitter and figured that going up a needle size would ensure that I wouldn't end up with a scarflet. Also, I didn't do the crocheted edging or fringe. I don't usually like fringe and I suck at crochet, so I just bound off as usual.

Charlotte's Web finished2 022208

I am VERY happy with this thing. I can't wait to wear it in Denver next week. It'll add just the right amount of color to my otherwise drab black and grey dressy work attire.

Charlotte's Web3 022208
note to self: make sure to switch camera off of nighttime setting before taking pictures in blinding-white snow.

10 Comments:

Blogger RiverCitySTL said...

Beautiful shawl! Great idea about the wire for blocking...I'm gonna make a note of that!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I love your shawl!

I have trouble with teh bind off on lace too.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Westozcaat said...

Absolutely stunning!!!!!!
I was using shark fishing wire to block my lace before i relented to the visa gods and bought a kit.

12:57 AM  
Blogger TechGirl said...

You look terrific, btw. :)

5:46 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

So beautiful!!! What a great idea using fencing wire. I may have to try that so I can keep a relatively straight edge.

For a minute there in one of the pictures it looked like you had worked beads into it. Did you? WOW!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Trillian42 said...

Beautiful! Your color combo really shines now that it is blocked.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

That is freaking gorgeous! And your creative blocking idea worked out great!

9:47 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous! Lovely!! Great job with the blocking too :)

12:49 AM  
Blogger Georgiann said...

Now that was worth waiting for! Absolutely gorgeous!

9:34 PM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

Fab-u-lous!

And kudos for the thrifty blocking wires. Caught in Stitches fever, I bought a kit but like your solution better.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home