26 February 2008

Poopy Socks FO

I finally finished these gawdawful socks last Saturday.

RR socks1 022308

Let me tell you, these were not fun to knit.

RR socks3 022308

I think the yarn just had some bad juju because this pair was the 6th pattern I tried. After ripping them out 5 times, I was more determined to be finished and rid of the yarn than I was frustrated with my inability to find the right pattern.

The colors are poo. I'm not sure why I even purchased this yarn. There are 2 brownish colors in it (one on the rusty side and one more a vomit-y brown), as well as a medium blue and a grassy green.

RR socks colors 022308

The color repeats were only 1-2 inches long, which made for strange pooling.

The stitch pattern is rotating ribs. It's just a 2x2 rib for 6 rounds, then shift the stitches one stitch to the left/right and repeat. I managed to be conscious enough when I started the second sock to make the rotation turn in the opposite direction from the first sock, which made for an interesting effect.

RR socks4 022308

I worked a short-row heel on these. I like the way they turned out.

RR socks heel 022308

I think I'll be using this heel on many toe-up socks in the future. It seems to fit my foot really well.

I also worked a rolled cuff, which I have never used before. I figured that since the fabric on these is practically bullet proof (owing to the size 0 needles I used), I didn't need ribbing to keep the socks up.

RR socks cat 022608
um, yeah, I couldn't get a cat-free shot

These babies are not going to fall down. Hell, they can practically stand up by themselves.

Overall, the socks themselves aren't bad. I'll still wear them, even though I loathe the pukey colors. I'm just really glad they're finished.

Pattern: Rotating Rib a la Yarn Harlot, toe-up, magic cast-on, magic loop, short-row heel, rolled cuff
Yarn: Lana Grossa Meilenweit Fun (can't say what the color number is as I long since threw away the ball band)
Needles: size 0, 32" Addi Turbo
Started: 12/16/08 (can't believe it was that long ago - thought I'd started them in January)
Finished: 2/23/08

Tomorrow I'll let you know what my next sock project is.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

It's too bad you think they are poopy - I think the are gorgeous!

9:44 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Kudos to you for finishing! On size 0s no less :)

I think they look great...sometime those muted colors work well for a sock!

10:53 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

I love your comment that you can't believe you started them that long ago- the date was Dec.16
peer closely now- 08!!!! WOW! Either you time traveled or you got them done before you started!hahahah

8:02 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I can see where the colors wouldn't be your thing, but I don't think they qualify as ugly.

I love the rotating rib stitch pattern!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

What perseverance! I am impressed that you finished. I have very little tolerance for projects that don't "flow" AKA, go smoothly.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home