17 March 2008

Warning: Doing laundry is dangerous work

I bent over to get clothes out of the dryer. That's when I felt something pull in my lower back. I was in immediate excruciating pain. I managed to straighten up, but I stood there unable to move for probably 10 minutes. I eventually made my way out to the living room to whine at Shane that I did something to my back.

This has happened before, but it's probably been 2 years since the last time. The only way I know to treat it is to alternate ice and heat several times a day until the pain subsides. I was quite a mess last night. The pain radiating through my pelvic region finally lightened up this morning and I was able to sleep. I called my boss last night and told her I wouldn't be at work today.

Aside from being in pain and missing a day of work, the big bummer about this little "accident" is that I had to cancel my business trip to Baltimore. My boss and I were supposed to leave tomorrow to go there for a Managing Editor's conference. Now she has to go by herself. I feel pretty bad about it, but there's not much I can do. I even had a yarn shop scouted out that I was going to try to visit before we had to be at the airport to come home Thursday morning.

I am going to try to go to work tomorrow, but I'm not sure how long I will last. Sitting for long periods of time makes my lower back feel compressed and stiff.

Maybe some time this week I will be able to get back to normal and do a post with knitting content.

4 Comments:

Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh no. I hope your back is feeling better soon. Bummer about your trip too, but what can you do, right? Rest and get better soon!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

I hear you loud and clear. I speak lower back pain fluently.
If you are not better in two days, get on the phone to your doc or go to urgent care for meds, (like a Medrol pack of prednisone, or muscle relaxants, or even a narcotic. It sounds like you needed at least one hydrocodone Sunday night.

Feel better!

Next washer/dryer set will be up on those overpriced but worth it stands.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Norm Deplume said...

I managed to throw out my back like that once. I was lifting the toilet lid when it happened. Doing laundry is at least a more honorable-sounding activity in which to hurt yourself.

I hope you're feelingbetter soon. Back injuries huuuurrrrtt!

7:45 AM  
Blogger TechGirl said...

I see your back pain and raise you one kidney stone. :)

Sorry to hear you're in pain, hon. I'm thinking of ya!

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home