04 March 2008

In the wild

I just remembered something from my business trip in Denver...

I wore my Charlotte's Web shawl the day we had meetings and it was a nice splash of color in my otherwise drab outfit. I was worried it would be a little too small, but it turned out to be the perfect size. Not so big that it got in my way, and not so small that it kept falling off.

But that's not what I meant to tell you.

In the middle of the editorial board meeting, I looked to my left, and there was a woman sitting a few seats down from me, KNITTING. I did a double-take, not believing my eyes at first. I didn't want to look like I was staring, so I stole envious looks at her every so often. She was wearing a vest that looked like it was made from Noro. The project she was working on was a blue thing worked in the round. She had an interesting way of holding her needles that I can't really explain. I was quite jealous that she was able to knit during the meeting. I sooooooo wanted to dig out my sock and work a few rounds.

When the meeting ended, I intended to approach her and ask what she was working on, but she slipped out of the room before I had a chance. But I lucked out. I went for a potty break before the next meeting started and when I walked up to the sink to wash my hands, there she was, washing her hands! I walked over to her and told her how envious I was that she was able to knit during the meeting. She said that she had noticed my shawl and wondered if I had knit it. Heehee!! We chatted for a minute before she had to leave to go to a yarn shop with a friend. They had gone to a couple of shops the previous day too. I told her about Posh and bid her good day.

I had the biggest smile on my face after that. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen knitting in the wild. It just doesn't happen that often around here. So cool to run into one of my own kind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mag said...

Knitting and crochet have become so fashionable that I actually saw a yarny bolero sweater top in Talbot's. Now Talbot's, if you aren't familiar, is so NOT a crunchy sort of craft style place! It is a tailored Town and Country la di dah down to business store. They even had c colored patent leather accessories in their spring collection. What is happening to the world? LOL!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home