27 April 2008

Beaded wedding purse

Picture heavy post (now that I've finally figured out the macro function on my camera).

The little beaded purse was completed Saturday morning and gifted Saturday afternoon. The recipient seemed to really like it, as did the other guests at the shower. I think it turned out great!

beaded purse2 042608
beaded purse1 042608

Most of the beads are clear, with some sort-of-randomly-placed pink and gold beads.

beaded purse closeup pink 042608
beaded purse closeup gold 042608

"Sort-of" random because I originally had a plan to have the colored beads spiral around the bag, but I didn't take into consideration the fact that the bead placement moves within each pattern repeat. Duh. Instead, the placement looks a little random. The pink beads are on one side and the gold on the other.

The most interesting part of knitting this was the lace top.

beaded purse gathered top 042608
beaded purse top 042608

The top is worked back and forth, then seamed to join. Stitches are picked up from one of the long ends and the bag knitted in the round down from there.

The last 3 rows in the pattern repeat were the most interesting. The instructions had me wrapping the yarn 3 times around the needle for every stitch worked. Then on the next row, all of those extra wraps were dropped to create elongated stitches. Those stitches were all knitted together on the last row. The effect is quite pretty:

beaded purse lace closeup 042608
beaded purse lace1 042608

I really love how the drawstrings came out.

beaded purse cord 042608

So nice looking and so easy to make. You just tape one end of the strands of yarn to a table and twist until the yarn twists onto itself. Knot the ends, trim them up, and there you go. So simple, and it looks so much nicer in this project than i-cord.

You know, for inexpensive yarn, it was perfect for this project. I found it at Hobby Lobby for less than $5. I don't have the ball band anymore, but I think the brand is Sinfonia. It's a mercerized cotton, DK weight (I think). It was very soft stuff to work with and didn't hurt my hand the way cotton usually does. It had just the right amount of sheen for this project, almost like silk.

I did something with this project that I haven't done in over a year - used DPNs! I didn't have a size 4 circ long enough to magic loop these, so I had to use DPNs. It took a little while for my hands to get used to the feeling of them again. Not my favorite method for knitting in the round, but I didn't mind it so much. Oh, and can I just say that kitchener stitch is magic? That's another technique I haven't used in a long time because I've been knitting sock toe-up for the last year. I could have done a 3-needle bind off for the bottom of the bag, but the kitchener looked so much nicer.

Here are all the details:
Pattern: Beaded Wedding Purse (Ravelry link)
Yarn: Sinfonia mercerized cotton in cream
Needles: US size 4 Addi 24" lace needle for lace top; Boye aluminum size 4 DPNs for body of purse
Notions: size 6.0 seed beads
Started: second week of April
Finished: 4/26/08
Mods: None

beaded purse &ampb Abbey 042608
The Booger helped me with the photos - mostly because I had to interrupt her nap to use the backdrop (a.k.a. our bed).

---

FO pictures of the RPM socks will be coming in a couple of days. I have just the bind off to do this evening.

10 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

What a lovely, lovely gift! Lucky bride!

11:47 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Absolutely gorgeous! How thoughtful! And I agree with cpurl, Lucky Bride!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

What a lucky bride, that is a gorgeous purse! I love the braid and the beads are perfect! Maybe I'll make one for myself with clear and lavender beads, but I really love your pink and gold beads.

8:00 AM  
Blogger TechGirl said...

That's pretty!!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

Wow! Just beautiful and what an excellent shower gift.

11:17 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Such a lovely and thoughtful gift!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

It turned out really pretty!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Georgiann said...

That's a lucky friend who is geting so many nice knitted gifts from you. I especially like the twisted straps -- going to try that soon.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Eryn said...

Gorgeous! Although your "helper" does not look overly impressed! :P

3:16 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

So pretty! I love the beads, it's very elegant.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home