29 November 2008

Almost Monkeys FO

In the winter of 2007, TechGirl asked me if I would make her a pair of socks if she lost a lot of weight. I said that of course I would, thinking that it didn't matter if she lost weight - I'd make her a pair of socks anyway. A couple of months later, she told me of her plan to have weight loss surgery. After 20 years of friendship, I knew how much she had struggled with her weight over the years. I was proud of her for making this decision, for doing the research to choose the right procedure, and for having the courage to go through with it.

Well, a year and a half after her surgery, she is wearing a size 4. I don't know exactly what her starting weight was, but I'm sure she's lost well over half her body weight. She looks great!

I kept my promise and made her a pair of socks.

almost monkeys

I based them on the Monkey pattern, though they bear only a slight resemblance. First, I replaced all the purl stitches with knit stitches. Then, because I needed to have an 80 stitch instep, leg, and cuff, I did two of the pattern repeats on the top of the foot and two repeats on the back of the leg, and inserted plain knit stitches in between. Also, I did slip-stitch heel flap, and worked the sock toe-up.

The cuff is a little different than what I usually do too. I did a k3, p2, k1, p2 rib. It turned out pretty nice.

almost monkeys cuff

I will definitely be using that cuff again. It's much more interesting to knit than a 2 x 2 or 1 x 1 rib.

My intention was to have the socks done in time for TechGirl's birthday in early October. Due to the Peacock Shawl I gave to my mom, I ended up not getting the socks finished and sent off until early November. She's had them for a couple of weeks now and says she likes them. I really hope they fit. I'm used to making socks for myself and my brother - trying to fit someone long distance is a little more difficult when they can't try them on.

Here are the details:
Pattern: Almost Monkeys
Yarn: Regia Kaffe Fassett in Mirage Storm
Needles: 40" size 1 Addis
Started: 8/25/08
Finished: 10/19/08
Mods: see above
Notes: This is the first time I've used a Regia yarn. It was a bit scratchy at first, but I got used to it after a while. I think it will wear really well. The colors didn't pool much at all. Overall, I was pleased. I'd use it again - good thing because I have another two skeins in the stash in a different colorway.

Labels: ,


Blogger Jo said...

Great modification - I really like the socks.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

I like your mods, especially on the cuff. Hehe..when I first saw the title I thought..but..her socks are right there!

12:00 PM  
Blogger TechGirl said...

Starting weight was 281 and now I weigh 140, so yep, it's right about half my body weight.

I'm glad you waited til I lost weight since my feet shrunk a bit. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new socks. They're so warm and cozy.

Thank you!!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home