22 October 2008

The worst day

It's fitting that it has rained all day long, because sun on such a crappy day would would feel mocking. I went with my sister this morning to put down her cat, Bob.

Bob came into our lives when I bought my house. He had lived in the garage for years, and the woman from whom I bought the house could not find anyone to adopt him. She called me one day a couple of weeks before closing and asked if I would take him.

He lived in the garage until a year or two ago, when Wendy and Pete asked if they could take him home with them. Bob was an old cat (+13 years) and Wendy and Pete didn't like the idea of him living in the garage anymore. Frankly, I didn't like it either, but I couldn't bring him indoors - The Evil One would never had adjusted.

So The Bob went to live with them and it was a match made in heaven. He was very happy. Wendy and Pete really enjoyed having him around.

Then, over the summer, Bob's health started to decline. I won't go into the details, but there were a few times when they were certain he was at death's door. Thankfully, he got a bit better and seemed happy.

His decline continued a couple of days ago, and after a rough night, Pete made the decision that it was time. Because he was so distraught, he couldn't go with Wendy to the vet, so I went instead. Bob was my cat at one time in his life, so I guess it was fitting that I was there.

I will spare you a description of what happened. I'll just say that it was horrible. I cried. Wendy cried. We cried together. As terrible as I feel now, I'm glad that I was there for her.

I take a little comfort in knowing that our beautiful, sweet, loving boy is no longer suffering. Somewhere in the beyond, he is curled up on a flannel blanket on a big comfy couch. I'm just glad that we had him in our lives for last 5 years.

If you're so inclined, say a small, healing prayer for Wendy and Pete. Bob was like a child to them, and his death will be felt for a long time.

Rest in peace, dear boy. I miss you.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP, Bob. I'm glad he had people to appreciate him while he was here.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor sweet kitty. He was lucky to have such love from you all in his life.

10:24 PM  
Blogger TechGirl said...

I'm sorry for your loss. :( Give Wendyll and Pete a hug for me.

4:50 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

I'm so sorry. Bob sounds like he had much love in his life. Many hugs to you, Wendy, and Peter.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

((hugs)) I'm so sorry to read this - every time I have lost a pet I've felt like my heart was being wrenched in two.

11:30 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Big hugs. I'm so sorry. Bob must have been quite a special cat to be loved and missed so much.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home