07 September 2008

How cool is this?!?

We’re baaaaack! After 11 hours of driving, we arrived home from Colorado at about 6pm last night. It was a lovely week, even if Pete had to stay home with his sick cat. Shane, Wendy, and I had a relaxing, and very lazy, week. I don’t have a lot of photos, but there are a few that I’ll share over the next couple of posts.

Today we have some photos I took along I-70 between Topeka and Manhattan. Now, I could be wrong, but I think these were built within the last year.

windfarm1

I don’t remember them being there when we made this drive last September. When we passed the miles of wind farms, it was probably before 8am. The morning sunshine was making the gigantic blades practically glow. The wind that day was horrible (even by western Kansas standards), so the blades were turning steadily.

windfarm3

I haven’t done much research about wind energy, so I don’t know a lot about it. It seems like a good idea, particularly in places like western Kansas, where the wind blows a gale all day, every day. I’m sure that there are downsides to the building and operation of wind farms (structures that large have to have some affect on the local ecology), but even so, they are pretty impressive to watch.

windfarm2

As Shane said, “Go Kansas!”

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kemtee said...

I dig wind power -- really, even us conservatives like the idea of lower utility bills -- but those things freak me out. It's a size thing. Something that massively huge that you can see for twenty miles off (one that I could see for what seemed like hours driving up NY Route 12 was like something out of Twilight Zone) just messes with my head. I have the same issue with this huge broadcast antenna thing that looks like a devil's pitchfork from the set of "Night on Bald Mountain" or something.

To each his own neurosis, I say.

7:10 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

And of course, there's always that chance you can get blown away into a fairy-tale land and get to float back home in a good-witch bubble...

9:20 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Those are interesting, thanks for the pics, never seen them up close.

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home