18 August 2008

Baby Sweater FOs

Sorry for that prolonged absence. Work has been uber-stressful lately, and I haven't felt like blogging. I have a business trip next Monday that involves a 2.5 hour drive with people I'm not too fond of. I'll be back in the office for a whole day, then we're off to Colorado for vacation. In anticipation of being out of the office for essentially 2 weeks, I have been trying to work ahead. I think I've burned out a circuit in my brain.

Anyway, enough work whining. On to the FOs!

Two of the gabillion pregnant women I work with are due 2 weeks apart, and they are both in my department, so we had a joint shower for them. Since they would be opening their gifts together, I thought making them the same thing was a good idea. So they both got the same sweater.

baby hoodies 080708

This is the Easy Baby Cardigan (Ravelry link) from Knitting Pure & Simple. The name is accurate - it's a very easy pattern. I'm not too great with sweaters, but this pattern was simple even for me.

green baby hoodie 080708

It's worked from the top, down. I opted to do a provisional caston so that I could kitchener the top of the hood together. I love kitchener. It's one of those magic knitting things that is a pain to do, but the results are worth it.

The green sweater has a seed stitch border. The red one has a garter stitch border (the pattern is written with garter stitch).

red baby hoodie 080708

The yarn is Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Red Pepper and Dublin. I used 5 whole skeins of each, and a little of a 6th skein. I'm loving this yarn. It's really soft. It would be a great yarn to use in gifts being knitted for people who don't like the usual scratchiness of wool. And it's washable. How great is that?

green hoodie closeup 080708

I will definitely make this sweater again. It may end up being my go-to baby sweater for shower gifts. I'm thinking of making my niece one for her first birthday in December.

Here are the deets:
Pattern: Simple Baby Cardigan by Knitting Pure & Simple
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Worsted in Red Pepper and Dublin
Needles: size 9 29" Inox circs
Started: sometime in late May 2008
Finished: 8/6/08
Mods: Did a provisional caston and kitchenered the top of the hood; used seed stitch on the border of the green sweater instead of garter stitch.

And how were the sweaters received? Both mommies loved them. Unbeknownst to me, the mom who received the green sweater has planned a jungle theme for her nursery, so the green is perfect. And the other mommy is a huge KU fan and loved that the red is one of KU's colors. Yay!

red hoodie closeup 080708

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Great sweaters! I do love this pattern... which reminds me I need to put in the zipper of the one I have at home...

7:48 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

Oh my gosh, those are just the most adorable! I actually love both borders equally and they seem to match their respective colors. The ties are really cute... I want to make one!

I understand about work, for me it's hard to be in front of the computer all day and then use it in my off time... so most of my posts are done at work. ;)

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Both are just so sweet - lucky mamas!

And you have my sympathy on the 2.5 hour drive. My vote is, chip in for gas, make someone else drive, and knit furiously - preferably something you have to count and pay attention to, thus politely avoiding conversation.

2:58 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Those turned out great! And talk about some good color karma!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home