12 July 2008

Moss Grid Hand Towels FO

With a month's notice, I was invited to a wedding for a woman whom I have worked with for many years. I knew she was getting married, but I didn't know when too far in advance. So, while I would have loved to have made her an afghan, I only had time to make three hand towels. (aside: If I had known it would take me so long to finish the hand towels, I would have made an afghan instead. The wedding was 2 months ago. Oh well, at least I made it within the 1 year window.)

Here we are, the Moss Grid Hand Towels from Mason Dixon Knitting.

moss grid hand towel1 071208

I knew M's kitchen was decorated with these colors, so I hope she likes them. She is currently trying to sell her townhouse in town because she and her new husband are trying to buy a house in Lincoln. I hope she decorates her new kitchen the same as the townhouse.

moss grid hand towel4 071208

They turned out pretty big, maybe 18" long each. I used CotLin from Knit Picks, 2 whole skeins and a little of a third skein of each color. The yarn is a DK weight. I used size 7 needles, which gave me a nice drapey fabric, but should give room for shrinkage without making the towels too much smaller.

moss grid hand towel2 071208

I really love this yarn. It's the first time I have worked with a cotton/linen blend. It's very soft. An added bonus is that working with it didn't hurt my hands at all. I will definitely be using this yarn again. I'm really glad that I have almost a complete skein left of each color so that I can use it for a little something for myself. I'm thinking of some wash cloths for the bathroom.

moss grid red 071208
moss grid yellow 071208
moss grid white 071208

The pattern is really easy. I would definitely use it again.

Here are the details:
Pattern: Moss Grid Hand Towels from Mason Dixon Knitting
Yarn: Knit Picks CotLin, 3 skeins each of Moroccan Red, Creme Brulee, and Swan
Needles: 24" size 7 Clover bamboo
Started: 4/1/08
Finished: 6/26/08
Mods: I changed the moss stitch border to make it a little wider since I was using DK weight yarn. I can't remember how many stitches I added, but I think it was between 2 and 4. Otherwise, I followed the pattern exactly.

moss grid hand towel3 071208

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Too funny - my standard wedding gift is usually a nice wooden cutting board and a bunch of dishcloths, because they're pretty and practical. I haven't been to a wedding since I've started knitting, so I hadn't made any yet for this purpose... but next time...

2:00 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

Very nice! Interesting about the CotLin, I wouldn't have guessed linen would be soft! Will have to check that out...

4:41 PM  
Blogger DawnK said...

This is on my list to do someday. I'll have to check out the Cotlin yarn, although, my LYS has the Euroflax, but I've never knit with that before. Your towels look great!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home