25 September 2008

Totally Autumn FO

It's been almost 2 weeks since my last post. Sorry about that. I blame the following...

totally autumn folded

I had the idea in mid-August that I would make my close friend S an afghan for her 40th birthday. I searched around on Ye Olde Intarwebs and discovered Totally Autumn. Smallish in size - cool. Chunky yarn - great. Big needles - super. I could knock out this baby in no time!

totally autumn5

Um, nope, not so much. I forgot. I'm a pretty slow knitter who doesn't like working with big needles. They give me a pain in my right hand that is not so fun. So having only about a month to finish this thing meant a month of furious knitting.

At least the yarn I chose was yummy. Knit Picks Swish Bulky in Verdant Heather. I can't believe how soft this stuff is. And cheap. In a good way.

The color is perfect. It coordinates with S's living room perfectly.

totally autumn closeup1

I love the little red and blue fibers that run throughout the green. And I couldn't resist taking some pictures the morning after I laid out the afghan for blocking. The light was coming into B's room in such a way as to really show off the texture of the stitches.

totally autumn4
totally autumn2

It looked like a mass of tangled yarn before blocking, but did that cool thing that lace does when it's blocked. It opened up nicely and the stitches popped. Good to know that trick works with bulky yarn as well as lace weight.

Overall, an interesting knit. I worked the smaller size as written except that instead of working rows 1-23 before the ending 8 rows of garter, I only did rows 1-13. I was worried I would run out of yarn so I stopped a little short.

Pattern: Totally Autumn from Knitty
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Bulky in Verdant Heather
Needles: 29" size 11 Clover bamboo circs
Started: about the 3rd week of August 2008
Finished: 9/18/08
Mods: Shortened the whole thing by 10 rows.
Notes: Easy pattern to follow, lovely results, great yarn. S really loved it. I can't wait to see it in her living room.

totally autumn3

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really gorgeous - you chose just the right yarn for the project! Congratulations - and your friend is very lucky!

9:05 AM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That looks fabulous! That's a lucky friend you've got there! :)

10:44 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

That is a seriously awesome blanket! I'm going to copycat you, just so you know. :) One day... when all my projects are out of the way.

This would be perfect though... Michael's sister just bought her first house and I'm dying to impress her!

Oh and great blocking job!

5:23 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

She's going to love it!

Big yarn and big needles always seem like a good idea at the time...

10:56 AM  
Blogger Zonda said...

That is fabulous, yeah, not an original comment but hey it is!

9:18 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home