16 November 2008

Adventures in cab riding

Oh what an adventure I've had this morning. I'm in San Antonio for some meetings. The first one was yesterday afternoon, the second one was this morning at 8:00. At 7:00, my coworker, J, and I called a cab to take us from the Holiday Inn where we were staying, near the airport, to the Hilton downtown, where my meeting was taking place. The cab showed up, we got in, and then the fun began. See, there's a marathon going on in downtown San Diego this morning and the city has blocked off almost all streets leading into downtown. I was initially optimistic that the cab driver would be able to get us to the hotel, because cab drivers tend to know all the back ways around the towns in which they work, and because one of my cab drivers from yesterday said that the road in front of the hotel would be open during the marathon.

Well, after driving around for 45 minutes, he gave up and told us that the nearest he could get us to the hotel was 5 or 6 blocks away. No biggie - it's a nice day and neither J nor I minded walking. However. I needed to leave the hotel by 10:00 in order to get to the airport in time for my noon flight home. The streets were going to be blocked until noon. I started to worry that a cab would not be able to pick me up to take me to the airport on time.

So I thought about it and thought about it, and made an executive decision - drop off J so that she could get to the exhibit hall (she and I were at the same conference, but for different reasons, and she isn't leaving until tomorrow morning), and ask the cab driver to take me directly to the airport. I called one of the people involved in the meeting I was supposed to be attending and told her I wouldn't be there. She said there were others who couldn't get to the hotel either, so I didn't feel so bad. Thankfully, the group I was meeting with was the same group I met with yesterday, and I was really there in a PR capacity for my company. They could meet without me.

So here I am, 1-1/2 hours down, a little over one hour left to go before they start boarding. Thank heavens the San Antonio airport has free Wifi (Dallas does not - what is UP with that?!?). In another 8 hours, I should be comfortably ensconced in my recliner at home, all of this work travel and customer visits of the last 3 months a faint memory. Life can soon get back to normal (whatever that is).



Blogger Brena said...

Yay for wifi and yay for going home! If I had a recliner I would probably have a difficult time leaving it.

5:01 PM  
Blogger TechGirl said...

I had a really nice recliner once before I had stepkids. Le Sigh.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Disco said...

You're right. Send me your address at discoknits at gmail dot com and I'll send you a little something.

Did you have to think about the Monet, or did you just know straight away?

:0) :0)

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home