10 December 2007

Guinevere

Time for the Guinevere (aka Secret of the Stole) FO wrap-up. I unpinned it from its blocking space on Friday night. That’s 2 days drying time. I probably could have unpinned it on Thursday night, but I thought it was better to be safe than sorry in the drying department.

SotS1 120807

It turned out that I had one sort of major mistake at the end that I chose to ignore. I forgot a yarn over somewhere in the last 20 rows. That meant that the center line of yarn overs was one stitch off-center, but I don’t think it’s noticeable to anyone who isn’t a knitter.

SotS2 120807

Details:
Pattern:
Guinevere (Secret of the Stole) by Nautical Knitter
Yarn: Jaggerspun Zephyr wool/silk laceweight in Cinnabar, two 2-oz. skeins. I used all of one skein and about ½ of the other.
Needles: US size 4, 24” Addi Lace circulars
Beads: size 8/0 seed beads in a color that I can’t remember the name of
Started: 5 October 2007
Finished: 5 December 2007
Final Dimensions: 84” x 15”
Modifications: None

SotS modeled2 120807

Notes: This was my first lace shawl project, and the first time using laceweight yarn. I really liked the Zephyr and will definitely use it again. This is a really good first lace project. There is a lot of stockinette, and the pattern is easy to see before blocking, so it’s easy to tell if you’ve missed a yarn over.

I didn’t keep up with the KAL as I would have liked, but I still finished the project in reasonable time. The shawl ended up being thinner in width that I expected, which made wearing a little challenging (damn thing didn’t want to stay on my shoulders). In looking through Ravelry, it appears that my final width was typical. I probably could have blocked it wider, but that would have required some stretching that I wasn’t comfortable attempting on my first lace blocking.

Overall, I liked this project. I don’t know that I will ever make another one, but I don’t often repeat projects. My next lace project will definitely be a more triangular in shape. I have joined the next Secret of the Stole KAL, which starts in January, but I probably won’t start it until much later than that. I need a little break from lace.

I wore the stole to our company Christmas party on Saturday (that modeled pic above is right before we walked out the door to go to L's house for drinks before the party). I received a lot of nice compliments on it. I think I could get away with wearing it to work now and again, if I felt like dressing up a bit. I think I need to get a pin for it though, so it doesn't fall off my shoulders. The designer had a pin commissioned, but I didn't like it much. I may order something from Romi in the future.

---

True to form for my luck, I get all dressed up Saturday, including shaving my legs and wearing makeup, and what should appear right before we left the house? A friggin' cold sore. I haven't had one in probably a year and a half. I love that my immune system decides to crap on me the one day a year that I wear makeup.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nautical Knitter said...

Guinevere is beautiful!!! You did such a great job and I love the color. Congratulations!

6:32 PM  
Blogger Brena said...

You look beautiful! The color of the shawl is the perfect compliment.

I had the same problem with the clapotis, it kept sliding off my shoulders. And since I was wearing a strappy dress, I think it made me look a bit trashy! I haven't found a pin that I like though (that's in my price range), so good luck!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

I think it is beautiful and it looks great on you. Good job.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Guinevere is lovely! Great job!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Mag said...

How lovely it looks on you!

That Zephyr is a wonderful yarn. I didn't see the mistake.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home