01 December 2007

Ripping my hair out

Coming up for air long enough to say DAMMIT!! I have been knitting almost nonstop on the Secret of the Stole (well, at least, nonstop during nonworking hours). Though I have spent hour upon hour for the last 2 weeks working with lace weight yarn on size 4 needles, knitting hundreds of rows and thousands of stitches, I mused to myself just last night that I was actually really enjoying this knit and wasn't at all frustrated or bored.

I should never think such things.

For the first time in over 500 rows, I have made a mistake to which I cannot immediately figure out the fix. All along, I have made minor errors here and there: a forgotten yarn over or k2tog. Until now, I have been able to fix the mistakes by dropping down stitches. Easy peasy.

Not this time. I encountered the problem 3 rows ago. I tinked back 2-1/2 rows, thought I had fixed it, then on the next pattern row, I realized I'm completely off somewhere. I have no idea what I did, but I'm not sure if I want to fix it. Part of me wants to just keep on and compensate for the error in the next few pattern rows. And then the obsessive perfectionist in me wants to rip back 4 rows and fix it for good.

Either way, I had to put the damn thing down for the night. I'll pick it up again tomorrow and decide then what to do.

I am officially sick of knitting this thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger cpurl17 said...

I feel your pain.
Make some good notes about where you were in the pattern and put it in a time out until it decides to behave.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when that happens! Your progress bar says you are 85% done. Don't give up now! I'm glad you were in the group. Good luck!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Batty said...

That's one of the things I learned from knitting lace: the second you get smug or even just confident, something goes wrong. It's the darndest thing.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Mag said...

Lace is a lovely thing but at its soul is a heart of darkness.
You can't let your guard down for a nanosecond.
I choose my lace projects very carefully nowdays because it is such a pain in the ass the FO had better be worth it. :-)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Eryn said...

That is so frustrating! Have you come up with a plan of attack?

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home