06 November 2007

Did you knit from your stash, young lady?

A few days ago I was freaking out about our household budget, and our complete inability to stick to it, and I thought it would be a good time to recap my pledge to “Knit from my stash” this year.

The rules I set for myself were the following:

• No yarn purchases until 30 September.
• Knitting accessories and books do not count.
• Exception: Yarn purchased while on vacation or business travel does not count.
• Exception: I could buy yarn for a Christmas gift sweater that I expected to take longer to knit than the 3 months before Christmas.
• Exception: Yarn purchased to make my SP 8 a gift was allowed.

So, how’d I do?

Well, let’s just say that if grades were being given for exercising some amount of control, I’d have a big fat red “F” at the top of my paper.

I did really well at the beginning of the year. I think my first little cheat was the one skein of cheapie yarn that I bought in April for my coworker’s wedding shower gift.

Then it became June and I started to freak out about all the Christmas gifts that I had in the queue to make for my various loved ones, in addition to an anniversary gift for my parents. So I bought some yarn at Michael’s for the anniversary gift (Celtic Knot afghan that never was).

Then I bought some more for a Christmas gift (Lady Eleanor stole).

I just HAD to have a laptop cover, so I bought some yarn for that.

And then some more for my soon-to-be-niece’s baby blanket.

And again some more for the Ball Band Dishcloths.

Oh, and I joined the Secret of the Stole KAL, so I had to have yarn for that.

All-in-all, I guess I purchased less yarn in a 10-month period than I did the previous year, but I didn’t do very well with the yarn diet.

I have three ginormous plastic tubs in a closet that hold my stash. They’ve been completely full since my last big yarn splurge in December last year. I wasn’t supposed to buy any new yarn, so I didn’t think it was necessary to obtain another plastic tub. But, see, there was this extra skein lying around that needed to go somewhere. So I found a cardboard box and put the skein in there temporarily. Over the course of the next few months, extra skeins lying around here and there had to go somewhere, so they were put in the cardboard box.

People, the damn box is now FULL. Like, stuff is spilling over the top and onto the floor. The box was only temporary, right? Because I wasn’t going to buy anymore yarn? Not so much. Every time I walk into the office at home, that box stares up at me, mocking me.

That’s right – BIG FAT “F”.

So what have I done now? Pledged not to buy any yarn until after Christmas. Why do I do this to myself?!

2 Comments:

Blogger Eryn said...

How about swapping? A destash sale? I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas. I like my stash; I know I am prepared to knit anything at anytime.

4:49 AM  
Blogger woolcat said...

I told myself in January I was only allowed to buy yarn for 8 projects, and by July I bought enough for 24. OK so I've completed 18 things, but I'm certainly not reducing the stash... although since July I've been really good.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home