08 October 2007

My favorite FO this year

I talked Shane into taking a couple of pictures for me of the completed Lady Eleanor.

finished Lady E1 100507

There she is in all her glory. I am really pleased with how this came out. It’s taking a lot of restraint on my part not to cast-on one for myself; especially since I have already purchased the yarn for it.

finished Lady E2 100507

I have no idea why I look so blasé in this picture. I think I was just tired from a long day at work. My hair has seen better days. Summer humidity in October, anyone?

finished Lady E3 100507
finished Lady E4 100507

The fringe was a big fat bitch to do. I managed to limp my way through the crocheted edge, which I completely suck at. Then it took me 2 HOURS to attach and knot the fringe on one end of the shawl. I watched an entire movie in the time that it took (The Holiday – great chick flick and Jude Law is now at the top of my list of men I’d leave my husband for). I thought I had the spacing of each strand figured out perfectly, but I had attached nearly 75% of it before realizing that they weren’t going to come out evenly-spaced. Then all of the knotting took forever. I sat on the floor to do this, which turned out to be a mistake. My lower back did not like me at all when I was finished. I did the fringe for the other side the next morning and it went much faster.

finished Lady E5 100507

Here’s an overexposed shot of the backside of the shawl. I just love how this looks. I’m still amazed at the outcome of entrelac. It’s such a simple technique, but has such a complicated appearance. And, can I just say that blocking is an amazing thing, even for a piece like this? All of the stitches evened out nicely, and the fabric flattened just enough to make it really look like the shawl is made up of woven strips.

The details:
Pattern: Lady Eleanor Stole from Scarf Style
Yarn: ~10 skeins of Patons SWS in Natural Plum; fringe was worked in Patons Classic Merino in Royal Purple
Needles: 32” Addis in size US 10.5; I can’t remember the size crochet hook I used but it was a big one
Started: mid-July
Finished: 9/29/07
Modifications: The only thing I did differently was to knot the fringe into 5 tiers instead of 7. Being the most boring and most frustrating part of the pattern, I just couldn’t see doing 2 more tiers.
New techniques learned: Aside from learning entrelac, I also learned how to knit backwards so that I wouldn't have to turn my work every row.
Notes: Love, love, love this pattern. And I am thoroughly smitten with this yarn. I love the colors, and I love that I can get it at Michael’s. There were a few knots in a couple of the skeins, but nothing earth-shattering. This stuff is so soft. I really hope it doesn’t pill much, but I suspect that it will. The recipient of this one is going to love it, I’m sure. Sadly, I cannot give it to her until December, so I will have to wait for the gratification of her reaction.

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

That's so beautiful! I love the colors you chose. I have always admired Lady Es, but I don't have the Scarf Style book. Your post might have pushed me into picking it up, though!

7:30 AM  
Blogger TechGirl said...

I fell in love with Jude Law while watching AI about the little boy robot. And then again while watching Closer with Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, and Clive Owen.

That Lady E is very pretty. You should be proud. You look really grumpy. :) SMILE!!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Soo said...

That is beautiful. The colours are great, and beautifully knit. I can't believe how tidy the wrong side is!!! Lucky Christmas recipient.

And I know what you mean about the impatience to GIVE THE GIFT as soon as it's done. I'm terrible for not wanting to wait.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Mag said...

You should be pleased as punch with that FO, it is wonderful!

I will never do fringe again. I did it for a scarf and it took an eternity and a day. I'd rather do a tedious knitted on border than ever knot fringe again.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Wow, what a gorgeous Lady Eleanor! I am intimidated by that pattern and admire everyone who finishes it.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home