31 December 2008

February Lady Sweater

I have a few things to post about that are 2008 FOs, and here is the first:

The February Lady Sweater.

FLS finsihed1

Yes, I finished this ages ago (27 November, to be exact), but I keep forgetting to post about it. I started it back in October and was determined to wear it Thanksgiving day. I worked my little fingers off and finally laid it out to block on the Tuesday prior to the holiday.

This is not my first sweater. However, it is the first adult sweater I've made successfully. Previous attempts were all ripped out at some point except one, and that one turned out to be about 3 sizes too big for the recipient. It was perfect for her when she was 8 months pregnant, but other than that, I don't think it'll be getting much wear.

FLS on couch
Check out the new couch!

Anyway, I seriously love this sweater. It fits absolutely perfectly, despite my fears that it wouldn't. The whole time I was working on the yoke I thought for sure it was too small. Even though my gauge was spot-on (a frickin' miracle in my world), I still doubted. It wasn't until I had finished the body and tried it on (for the hundredth time) that I was comfortable with idea that it was going to fit just fine.

The soaking and blocking did wonders to loosen up the fabric just enough to make the fit perfect. The girls have enough room up front, something us well-endowed chicks often have trouble with. The length is exactly where I want it, right at the bend between my hips and upper thighs.

FLS back

The yarn is Cascade 220. I am in lurve with this yarn. It's reasonably priced, the yardage is quite generous, and it's pretty soft despite being plain ol' wool. I used about 5.75 skeins. I'm thinking I could easily get a long sleeved sweater out of 6 skeins - at roughly $6/skein from my LYS, that's a sweater for less than $40. What a deal!

The buttons came from As Cute as a Button. They're abalone - pale pinks, creamy colors, hints of blue and lavender. I wasn't sure about them when they arrived in the mail. I was a little concerned that they would be too light in color. But they are perfect.

Pattern: February Lady Sweater
Yarn: Cascade 220
Needles: 32" size 9 Addis, size J crochet hook
Started: early October
Finished: 11/27/08
Mods: The only modification I made was to do a crochet bind-off. I really liked the way Cristi's bind-off looked on her sweater, so I stole the idea. Otherwise, I followed the pattern exactly.

FLS flying

Love it!!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mag said...

Fit's great, color's perfect, right on gauge's a miracle!

Your living room is very lovely too!

6:57 PM  
Blogger weezalana said...

That turned out great, and it looks fabulous on you! (Like the new couch, too!)

Have a Happy New Year!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Very nice - that sweater is definitely on my list of things to knit.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Discoknits said...

I think I really need to knit that sweater. Yours looks awesome on.

Your new couch is spiffy too.

Happy New Year
:0)

4:59 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

That sweater looks fabulous on you!! Great job!

Happy happy new year!

7:29 PM  
Blogger kemtee said...

Yay!! Donning the royal purple for the new year -- great start! Seriously, it looks fabulous.

(Devil cat let you pet it?)

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous job, congratulations! There's something about wearing one's own creation... it's addictive!

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home