09 September 2007

Vacation, part 2

Since it rained all day on Monday, we weren't able to get out to do any hiking until Tuesday. That morning, after breakfast, we drove to Bear Lake, which is just a few miles inside the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Who would have thought that it would be so busy in the middle of the week? There were so many people there that we weren't sure we'd be able to get a parking spot. We lucked out though and were able to walk around the lake. The path is less than 2 miles, most of it flat (which is just right for my very out of shape lazy ass). The weather was lovely. I managed to take quite a few good pictures as we made our way around the lake.

Bear Lake5
Bear Lake7
Bear Lake12

A nice woman even took our picture at the entrance to the trail, though she needn't have offered since Wendy or Pete could have taken one. It was nice of her anyway.

Shane & Me

Shane had a good time taking pictures with his camera phone.

Shane

He had the good idea of taking a picture to use as the wallpaper on his phone. I may use one of my pictures for the same thing.

There was obligatory photo of Wendy with her head on my shoulder. Seems that everywhere we've traveled together, there is a picture similar to this one to remember the occasion.

Wendy & Me
Think we have enough water?

We climbed a few rocks too, which my overly-large body is not very good at (nearly fell on my face a couple of times).

Wendy Pete & Me

So, that was the trip to Bear Lake. The next couple of days were filled with shopping, both in downtown Estes and in the outlet mall in Loveland. I bought a onyx, mother of pearl, and marcasite ring to wear on my right hand, as well as some goodies at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and Harry & David. Yeah, just what I need - more chocolate and snacks. Shane got himself several short-sleeved polo shirts for work, from the Nike outlet and the Tommy Hilfiger outlet (he's so hip). I think it's the first time I've ever seen him buy something for himself. Makes me feel less guilty for my yarn purchases.

Oh, speaking of yarn... I made sure we were back in Estes on Thursday (our last day there) early enough so that I could visit the local yarn shop before they closed. No one wanted to go with me, so I went by myself and had a lovely time. I'll post more about it and my purchases later.

We made the 11 hour drive all the way home on Friday, and I've been in a lazy haze since then. Overall, a great time was had by all. I really hated leaving. Seems like I leave a little bit of myself behind every time we leave the mountains. My heart is definitely there. Now, if only I could win the lottery and buy some land there....

Back to work tomorrow. Ugh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank Heavens you came back! While you were gone I knit not a bit and drank mugoritas instead. So I guess I'm not really annonymous any longer, eh? Even knitting a baby scarf I procrastinate. Again, Thank Heavens you came back.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home